Sunday, January 13, 2008

ZOMG! Jane Austen


Starting tonight until March, they will be running all the Jane Austen movies on Masterpiece Theater.

'Persuasion': Based on Austen's melancholy last novel, the film stars Sally Hawkins as the steadfast Anne. Premieres Jan. 13.

'Northanger Abbey': Austen's first book skewers the Gothic romances popular in her day. Starring Felicity Jones. Jan. 20.

'Mansfield Park': The fortunes of young Fanny Price (Billie Piper), a poor relation of the noble Bertrams. Jan. 27.

'Pride and Prejudice': A repeat of the acclaimed 1995 BBC film with the incomparable Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. Feb. 10.

'Emma': Kate Beckinsale starred in this 1997 television production as Austen's strong-headed matchmaker. March 23.

'Sense and Sensibility': A new two-part film about the well-bred but poor Dashwood sisters and their suitors. March 30.

I can't decide which of these is my personal favorite. The heroines are plucky and smart, and the heroes are completely swoon-worthy. Captain Wentworth, Mr. Tilney, Edmund Bertram, Mr. Darcy, Mr. Knightley, Mr. Ferrars, and Colonel Brandon are every woman's dream of what a man should be....at least I know they're mine. All six of these are some of my all-time favorite movies. Don't miss out!

9 comments:

Andra said...

Awwww....Meg...As expected...it was "Comanche Moon"! But luckily I have Persuasion here from Blockbuster online!

Megan said...

OOH! Which version of "Persuasion" is it? It's a good story.

Anonymous said...

I just don't see how anyone could beat Mr. Darcy, but I haven't see any of the others save for Sense and Sensibility. Which...Col. Brandon is just wonderful.

Megan said...

Look lady....every other one of the Austen heroes are just as brilliant as Mr. Darcy. I really can't decide my favorite, though I lean slightly toward Mr. Knightley from "Emma" and Mr. Darcy. They are both truly magnificent.

Don't discount the others, though. I have a soft spot for Edmund Bertram and Mr. Tilney as well.

You just like Col. Brandon cause it's Alan Rickman!

Andra said...

On the disc is says 1995 BBC...Not sure about who the actors are.

Megan said...

I bet it has Ciaran Hinds in it.....that's a good one! The new one has a super hot guy playing Captain Wentworth. The old one is not so hot, but it's still fantastic.

Andra said...

I guess it's the only one that Blockbuster had....hmmmmm

Anonymous said...

Megan, I promise I don't like Col. Brandon just because it's Alan Rickman! But his voice, however...well, that might have a little something to do with it.

Megan said...

AHAHAHAHA I knew it!